Sunday, May 10, 2015

I'd totally live here: Traditional in Whittier

There was a two-year period in my life where I loved my job so much that on Monday mornings I'd bound out of bed thinking, 'I get to go to work today!'  That job was at Whittier College where I supported brilliant and able faculty in the Department of Education.  I consider Whittier (a city tucked into the Puente Hills about 15 miles east of downtown LA where the 60 meets the 605) my hometown in California.  I love its Quaker-founded college, its diversity, how it feels like a small town, and its proximity to San Gabriel Valley and DTLA.

I'd gladly move back to Whittier into this 1938 gem which boasts 2952 sq ft.  The classic home has been on the market for about year.  It's a traditional 3 bedroom, 3 bath home with a living room, den, formal dining, eat-in kitchen, attic, and (gasp) a basement.  It features wainscoting, crown molding, 2 fireplaces, ample storage, and copper plumbing.  Plus this house includes my must-haves of central AC (it gets HOT in Whittier), washer-dryer hookups, and off-street parking.  (There's a two car garage and a long driveway).  You'll also find gardens along the back and side of the home.

If I bought this house I'd paint the front door either dark green, black, or red.  I'd also add a U.S. flag at the front entry.

I love this little porch on the font of the home.

 Pretty, wide plank wood flooring




The sellers are asking $839K for the home.  I could see it selling for $800K.  I suspect it's a little slow in selling because buyers may not be able to look past its older decor, the fact it doesn't have a pool, and that the house sits right on Mar Vista St. which is a thorough fare for commuters.  Traffic zooming past the house will be thick every morning and evening.  I personally like the unspoiled interiors, even the blue tile in the original kitchen.

Update: This house has a sale pending!  I hope it's to someone who appreciates the home's architectural details.











Previously at The Pad:
I'd totally live here: Naples
I'd totally live here: Hong Kong
I'd totally live here: Ortega-Vigare adobe
Heck yeah, I'd live here: Echo Park

Other home features:
Newport Beach cottage makeover
Neutra home my idea of heaven
San Diego Cinderella home for sale
One house, three exteriors
Venice home restaged, back on market
Dream midcentury house: 1966 post and beam
Report: Lee Snijders at Home & Garden show